Re: What MB/s is pulled from your buffer cache?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 01:49:49 +0200

By the way the "logical read bytes from cache" metric doesn't mean that this amount of bytes were actually processed / transferred from buffer cache memory to CPUs. An example would be a nested loop join or a filter loop, which probes some index/table millions of times in a loop - taking only one (or a couple of) rows each time. So, on each iteration you could only be touching only a couple of hundred bytes worth of memory lines in that 8kB buffer each time (btw I'm not talking about all the other memory access that's going on when running oracle code).

This is different from the "physical read total bytes" metric in the sense that when you read 8kB from disk, you have to read it all in (and checksum it from end to end) even if you plan to read only one row from it.

--
*Tanel Poder*
Enkitec (The Exadata Experts)
 | Exadata<http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Exadata-Apress/dp/1430233923>