RE: perl and dba

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:31:33 -0600 (CST)

David writes:

> Something "pro" for perl that hasn't been mentioned directly (as a must for
> DBAs) is efficiency for row processing.

I especially like the "sysseek" implementation that I use in my log checker that quickly skips over the start of the file that I don't want to process.

And my perl script needed two lines changed and one "if" block to handle running properly on Windows from being developed solely on Unix.

I don't have much python to compare to perl, but Gentoo's Portage package (in python) has the earmarks of being inefficient as CPU and disk both go full-tilt during management operations, especially if a large historical repository is maintained. If I get bored, I may have to convert my log checker to py someday...

Rich