Latest issue of the NoCOUG Journal

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 14:41:10 -0800

<user group announcement>

The latest issue of the NoCOUG Journal is full of original content that provokes and stimulates (http://goo.gl/YIt6x)

The SQL Corner features an article titled “We Don’t Use Databases; We Don’t Use Indexes” by Iggy Fernandez who says: “The time is soon coming when the marriage of relational theory and transactional database management systems will be dissolved. We will be free to store structured non-transactional data outside a transactional database management system while continuing to exploit the entire universe of indexing, partitioning, and clustering techniques as well as the full power of relational languages, not only SQL.”

Say what?

There is a security-themed interview titled “Be Very Afraid” featuring Slavik Markovich, the CTO for database security at McAfee who says: “What DBAs should not accept are solutions that hinder or interfere with the DBA’s daily tasks—DBAs are primarily concerned with running databases efficiently. Any solution that jeopardizes this primary objective is counter-productive and doomed to fail anyway, because DBAs and other staff will find ways to circumvent it.”

Hear! Hear!

The Performance Corner features an article titled “Integrating Oracle Database and Hadoop” by Gwen Shapira, our resident Oracle ACE director who says: “I always advise customers to first make sure they are using Oracle correctly before venturing out to new platforms. … Have realistic expectations. Hadoop is a relatively new technology. It is not as mature as Oracle and can be much more challenging to deploy, tune, and troubleshoot.”

Amen, sister.

Keep current with technology and expand your horizons by reading the NoCOUG Journal. The cover picture is also nice. Download the Journal at http://goo.gl/YIt6x.

Knowledge Happens!

</user group announcement> --