Re: perl and dba

From: Ryan January <rjjanuary_at_multiservice.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 17:13:45 -0600

I'd agree that being familiar with a higher level language is very useful. Their utility is generally broad, and publicly available add in modules can be found to perform almost any task. I feel that everyone in this profession (IT in general) is standing on the shoulders of giants. With that mindset I'm one who doesn't like revisiting an issue unless there's sufficient reason to do so. Writing equivalent functionality to what's already available in modules would take a significant chunk of time.

Python, numpy, matplotlib, and cx_oracle have become "must haves" on my laptop. At this point I've at least broken even on the amount of time spent learning python vs the time I've saved using it and it's modules.

I respect perl as a language, but it's not for me. At times I found it difficult to maintain scripts if I didn't revisit them regularly. As a crutch I ended up with a gratuitous amount of in line comments. I don't seem to have the same issue with python.