Code Review Process

From: Jeff Chirco <JChirco_at_innout.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 21:38:49 +0000

What is everyone's code review process?
* Do you review code during development or right before going to QA?
  • Or do developers come to you and say we need this to go to production right now can you check it out really quick?
  • Are you proactive in the code review process or is there a formal submittal?

And what is your code review process like?

  • Do you just check for naming standards? Use a special toll or application?
  • Do you do some kind of performance testing on the code? Do you do it on all code or just some

Side question, which team writes your pl/sql code? Do have you dedicated pl/sql developers or do your Windows/Java/Cobol developers do the pl/sql as well? Our DBA team is very small so our .Net and Cobol programmers write most of their own pl/sql and since it is not their primary language it is not always the most efficient. So I am often reviewing it at the last minute with occasionally not much time to really make changes. I try to teach them as much as I can.

Some background, we write all our own applications and it is all for internal use .

Thanks in advance for any input.