Re: asm disks

From: Martin Klier <usn_at_usn-it.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 19:35:21 +0100

Hi Mike,

Mike Hayes schrieb:

> It seems to me we have just gone against best practice. For those who have
> experience with ASM do you use hardware raid or not?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.

I'm using ASM since it's out (10.1), and I'd always prefer a HW raid subsystem over ASM for the sake of offloading logical load to specialized hardware.

But there are certain situations where you will need ASM diskgroups on higher redundancy - for example if you want to have redundant storage systems that don't have a replication feature for themselves.

Since Hans Forbrich mentioned the Alex demo - I agree. If you are using ASM on a high number of disks, you have to know it's behaviour well to estimate what will happen in trouble scenarios.

If you are asking plainly, I'd always recommend to go for ASM as EXTERNAL as possible - but in you scenario (already having a running system, set up with some effort), look up the setup if it has weak points, and if not, stay on it.

Hope this helps.

Martin

--
Usn's IT Blog for Linux, Oracle, Asterisk
http://www.usn-it.de