Re: Oracle licensing question

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 12:28:30 -0700

Fairly common question.

Simple answer: if you have a 'normal' license contract, you can load up as many instances and as many ORACLE_HOMEs as you want on the machine - even in VMs.

However, you want to verify that your license does not have special conditions. If you received ANY kind of discount, you *may* have special conditions that places restrictions on your usage. This is a discussion for YOUR vendor contracts people.

As usual, a judge will not accept an "I thought I was OK, since I read it on the Internet" argument. Best to check with Oracle Sales if you are unsure. But start with the Database Licensing doc at http://tahiti.oracle.com and dig into the licensing document found on the front page on all Database portals - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/toc.htm for 11gR2.

Oracle's Pricing and Licensing site
(http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/index.html) is a great place to start for more detail, and in particular, the Software Investment Guide discusses how all the licenses variations are supposed to work. And the Contracts pages at
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contracts/index.html are useful - but mainly for insomnia. (Lawyers wanna be fed too, you know.)

Support simply follows as a percentage of the license and covers exactly the same configuration as the license does. The Support site (http://www.oracle.com/us/support/index.html#menu-support) and in particular the Technical Support Policies and Lifetime Support Policies should be bookmarked and familiar to all DBAs.

/Hans