Re: ASM and archivelogs - what if....

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 12:04:08 -0300

Chris,
  A good backup policy will include an archivelog backup immediately after the full backup (that is why RMAN has the backup database plus archivelog feature), and frequent archivelog-only backups. Ideally you would back up the entire database at night and then take archivelog backups every couple of hours. I usually have two scripts for archivelog backups, one that runs every hour or two, depending on the customer data loss requirements and then another one that runs every five minutes and checks how much free space there is in the FRA, if it reaches a certain threshold, then it executes an archivelog backup. In some systems I set up an alert when the "every 5 mintues" script has to run a backup because it means something went wrong (either the transactional load increased for valid reasons or it didn't... if it didn't I need to find out why).

  Furthermore, if you have a storage issue bad enough to corrupt the ASM headers, you may loose any cooked filesystems as well (they are not *that* different) and you would have to restore from a tape backup, hence having the archivelogs available on tape is a must.

  That being said, if the data loss requirements allow for less than one hour, it is usually a critical system, so the uptime requirements will be equally restrictive, in this scenario the best option is Dataguard.

  I'm not a fan of having a secondary archive dest (except for DG) since it increases the chance of impacting the database. The approach I'd take there would be to generate archivelogs to the FRA and then back them up to a filesystem if the tapes are too busy during the day.

Alan.-