ASM and archivelogs - what if....

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 07:23:03 -0600

Env:
10.2.0.4 RAC 3 Nodes RHEL 5.6 64-bit
10.2.0.4 ASM 3 Nodes RHEL 5.6 64-bit
We have our archivelogs stored solely in a diskgroup managed by the ASM instance. We don't write the archivelogs to a cooked filesystem.

Nightly we take an RMAN backup and verification to a cooked filesystem.

I'm curious if I have a potential problem area with this setup in that I ask the question:

"What happens if I lose my ASM information - such as ASM disk header corruption or a severe SAN problem that corrupts the disk data?"

I can imagine a scenario where I would have my last backup but not have any current archivelogs to do a restore. How can I prepare for such a potentiality (fully understanding that it is unlikely but still possible)?

Should I just write a secondary archivelog location to a cooked filesystem and have the same tape backup pickup the archivelogs?

"Prepare for the worst, always hope for the best"

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S