asm disks

From: Mike Hayes <funrx1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 15:37:54 -0500

I haven't done anything with ASM disks. Had a consultant come in to do an install on a physical server with it's own set of disks. He was all about that ASM was the way to go and to not use hardware raid and just let ASM do everything for you was best practice. Now I start reading the Storage Administrators guide and come across the following in chapter 2: Logical unit numbers (LUNs)—Using hardware RAID functionality to create LUNs is a recommended approach. Storage hardware RAID 0+1 or RAID5, and other RAID configurations, can be provided to ASM as ASM disks.

It seems to me we have just gone against best practice. For those who have experience with ASM do you use hardware raid or not?

Thanks in advance for your input.