Re: A Book Suggestion for Performance Tuning 10g & 11g

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:30:41 -0800

This a great list from Hans, that I second that list: 1) Performance Tuning Guide http://www.oracle.com/pls/db112/homepage 2) Expert Oracle Database Architecture: Oracle Database 9i, 10g, and 11g - Kyte
3)  Oracle Core: Essential Internals for DBAs and Developers by J Lewis
4)  Optimizing Oracle Performance by Cary Milsap
5)  Troubleshooting Oracle Performance (TOP) by Christian Antognini
6)  Oracle Wait Interface

I really like TOP.

Just to add my 2 cents, if you are interested in SQL tuning I think the following two are under-rated

  • Refactoring SQL by Stephane Faroult
  • SQL Tuning by Dan Tow

Stephane's book is a easy read and should be read by every DBA who has any exposure to developers especially java programmers who try and access the database.
Dan's book is a more challenging dry read but it's the only book that lays out a straight forward methodology for finding an optimal execution path candidate. The method requires work, but the good new is that DB Optimizer from Embarcadero does most of the busy work. DISCLAMER: I was the designer behind DB Optimizer I'm biased.