Re: Install RAC failed at running root.sh step

From: Lu Jiang <lu.jiang69_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 08:11:41 -0800 (PST)

Finally after I changed the host order from 'dns file nis' to 'files dns nis', the root.sh ran succssfully. I don't understand why 'dns file nis' order made the root.sh failed, this order is recommended in the Oracle documentation if all the public interfaces are resolved by dns. Any idea?
Thanks,
Lu

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com> To: Lu Jiang <lu.jiang69_at_yahoo.com>
Cc: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:10 PM Subject: Re: Install RAC failed at running root.sh step

On 24/01/2013 3:19 PM, Lu Jiang wrote:
> Thanks Hans.
> We look good on all the items you listed except 3) . We have public
> and VIP interfaces resolved in the hosts files. Should we have them to
> be resolved from DNS as well?

Either/or.  As long as they are resolved exactly the same way for all nodes, it doesn't really matter during install/create. For the public stuff, I'm a big fan of both hosts and DNS - end users use DNS, but nodes don't need to do network hops to respolve. With local cache it shouldn't matter, but I've experienced hiccups due to DNS resolutions delays.  OTOH, it adds burden on the admin team.