Re: new database server build - sanity check

From: ed lewis <eglewis71_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:43:50 -0500

Hi,

     We have T4-1 hardware for some of our database servers. We're running Solaris 10, with Oracle 11.2.0.3, in a 2 node Rac cluster. Just some thoughts on my experiences.

  • The database is stored on ASM with zfs being used for the Oracle binaries, and Oracle backup file systems. Our sys admin promotes ZFS, mostly for it's compression features. With ZFS, I notice that adding or deleting data mass volumes of data is on the slow side, but not a show-stopper. I also understand that it require a fair amount of memory.
  • Besides the T4s, were are also using some T3s., and T2s, We found the T2s, and T3S to be very poor performers as database servers. The T4 is decent. As was recommended, I would go with Linux or some other platform before using Sun.
  • With containers, ldoms we saw poor performance with I/O. We use physical srevers for all prod db servers. We recently did the same for our non-prod db servers.
    • Original Message ----- From: "~Jeff~" <jifjif_at_gmail.com> To: "Oracle-L_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:14 PM Subject: new database server build - sanity check