Re: CURSOR_SHARING survey

From: Stojan Veselinovski <stojan.veselinovski_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:38:22 +1100

Hi Chris,

As per recommendations(?) from EMC we have it set in 1 or our databases. A DBA out in the the business set it on the fly in a another prod environment believing he had a parsing problem (different application) with pretty dire consequences.

These are the only 2 databases out of 50+ that have had it set to FORCE at any one point in time.

I'm just starting on a performance tuning project which is looking at the custom interface developed for EMC Documentum and the various issues they are having around it. The product uses its own version of SQL called DQL - hence the cursor_sharing=force. Going to be a challenge to get this running well. Also, from what I can see early on most fields are made not null and a whitespace is added when they should be null : )

To be fair to the product, at this stage I'm not sure if it's an issue with Custom developed code or the base product and I'm not even sure if the cursor_sharing=force is specified in their documentation or was a recommendation by the people that set it up.

Stojan.