User defined context over a database link

From: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:52:37 +0000

Hello,
Is anyone aware of a way that you can pass a context set in one instance and have it visible to a second instance when performing a select over a database link? For example, when a user runs a select over a public database link in instance A, making instance B aware of the context that was set in instance A. Hopefully I didn't mutilate that explanation too much.

In our situation, we are using VPD which is determined by the context in instance A that the user sets when they log in. The developers want that value to be visible to instance B if someone uses a database link to connect to it.

Outside of the design issues related to this, I didn't think it was possible and wanted to confirm with the list.

Thanks in advance.