Re: Strange error when resizing MEMORY_TARGET

From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:05:31 +1000

Ah, I should have added that I did check V$memory_resize_ops and v$memory_dynamic_components and the total memory usage at the time that I could see was only around 6GB, well under the target of 7G that was in force.

I understand that Oracle means target, not limit, which is why I did not expect any immediate resizing when changing the target. Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of "target"? In my understanding it means that Oracle should attempt to bring memory usage up/down if possible. What I gather from the answers though, is that Oracle attempts to force memory down into the new target and refuses to set that target if it momentarily fails to do that. That would indicate that Oracle treats the "target" as a hard limit, imho.

I noticed a similar target=limit behaviour with memory_target and memory_max_target. We did at one point require more than 7G, and although memory_max_target was 20G and used memory (SGA + PGA) at 7G, Oracle raised ORA-4031 instead of growing memory beyond 7G (which is why we want to resize to 16G in the first place).

Cheers,
Tony