Re: Hyperthreading - Oracle license

From: Kevin Closson <ora_kclosson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:39:24 -0800 (PST)

SMT cores should be thought of as another .3 of a core...and platform experts would do well to accept the new reality: 70 is the new 100

SMT is not a bad thing..not understanding it can be.

If I can get my head out of the foxhole without seeing tracers I actually have a blog post teed up on SMT

The feature is called Simultaneous MultiThreading but since a thread is stalled until its peer thread stalls (all the while the OS charges each of them against their time slice over any given wall-clock period) I sort of poo-poo the use of the word simultaneous.

No war-horse here, but best to test.