RE: local connections fail, but listener connections succeed

From: Uzzell, Stephan <SUzzell_at_MICROS.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:21:11 +0000

Windows isn't case-sensitive about that the way Linux / Unix are...

No, we have not found the answer, but after more digging, it appears that there is something going on at the cluster level: crsctl stat res is reporting some strange statuses:

ora.mmp5.db

      1        OFFLINE OFFLINE                               Instance Shutdown
      2        ONLINE  ONLINE       map05mdb02               Open

Which is flat-out wrong - I have verified that instance 1 is indeed up.

I can't prove that the two are related (especially since it is the instance on node 2 that's giving us difficulty) but I don't really believe in coincidence.

Stephan Uzzell

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Uzzell, Stephan Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:20 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Cc: Uzzell, Stephan
Subject: RE: local connections fail, but listener connections succeed

Useful questions from lots of people - I will try to answer them all here:
- This is a two-node 11.2.0.2 RAC. Node 1 - everything works as expected. Only on node 2 do we see this weirdness.

  • There have been no new software installs.
  • There are multiple homes installed - these boxes started life as 11.2.0.1, so the old homes are present but nothing runs from them.
  • The service on this node is OracleServiceMMP52
  • The current DB Home is the first entry in the %PATH% - that's where sqlplus runs from.
  • No errors in the alert log or listener log. Unfortunately, this is an issue because our backups run on node 2, and our backup scripts all use "RMAN TARGET /" - this is failing too...

Stephan Uzzell