Re: OLTP compression slow update

From: Michael Dinh <mdinh235_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 19:07:51 -0800

Kevin,
Single block read was code generated from DI application. Hearing all sorts of limitations for DI app and it looks like ETL might have to be on the database end.
When converted to MERGE using FTS, process completed in nearly 8 mins. Performance with OLTP compression is very negligible. FACT table has 33,179,386 rows and merging with STAGING table containing 911,861 rows. Oracle support suggest parallel 8 and completes in 13 minutes. That's no longer apple to apple comparison.

NestedLoop No Compression:
Executions 911,861
Rows Processed 911,861
Disk Reads 97,791