Re: Questions about Postgres and Oracle

From: Kevin Closson <ora_kclosson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:24:44 -0800 (PST)

Yeah, I'm just not going to get in the middle of all that (financial and blog fights). I get in enough of those without joining in on others' it seems. I chimed in because I saw concerns about limits. Until I hear a customer needing more than 281 trillion rows in a single table I'm not losing sleep :-)

I aim to blog soon about flexibility. While not intrinsic PostgresSQL, Greenplum supports columnar/row, compressed/non-compressed on a per-partition basis. In fact, each column can have it's own compression type and blocksize (32K to 2MB) for what that's worth.

But the flexibility that has always drawn me to this particular technology is that you can run it on any x64 hardware with any storage you want. You can run it on physical or virtual. Your choice.

So, that all sounds like a marketing brochure and thus I'll stop there until I see a technical question that needs answered.

 From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh_at_gmail.com> To: Kevin Closson <ora_kclosson_at_yahoo.com> Cc: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>; "jkstill_at_gmail.com" <jkstill_at_gmail.com>; Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:59 AM Subject: Re: Questions about Postgres and Oracle

Thanks Kevin for posting additional info about Greenplum.

This is not intended to start a flame war but to answer your concerns about how we got our data even though "Greenplum's divisional performance in that time frame would likely not have been public information since we were under EMC's umbrella" . I found the email that I wrote with contents copied from web that looked at EMC Greenplum numbers harshly. I have copy pasted my original email below between `lines demarked with "+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++".

(yes, anyone can post anything on the web.....but this was too sensitive for EMC to not notice and act upon so I had reason to believe the contents )

Since this thread is getting too long for my comfort too, I will also like to cease my activities on this thread. If I have a question, I will email you directly and please feel free to do vice versa.