RE: How the optimizer handles a range of values

From: Steve Wales <sjwales_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:04:42 -0700

Thanks for the responses.

I got my issue resolved, I was more asking just from a learning experience more than anything to get a better understanding of how the optimizer works.

A better understanding of what the optimizer does is on my "to do" list for the coming year.

Cheers,
Steve

From: Luis [mailto:lcarapinha_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:21 AM To: sjwales_at_comcast.net
Cc: list
Subject: Re: How the optimizer handles a range of values

Hi Steve,

AFAIK there is no really difference between "between" and >=, <= since Oracle internally translate between clause into < / > clauses, but maybe someone knows better than me :-)

In the end of your explain plan you have Access and Filter predicates (BETWEEN query). They must be different since access predicate is for row find (lower bond) and filter for row filtering after find (higher bond).

I'd say that for both querys this access and filter predicates need to be equal.

You have also 10053 trace file to the rescue..

Can you show us the explain plan for both querys?