Re: Snap Manager for Oracle

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 17:10:28 -0800

I would be interested in peoples experiences as well with Netapp, snap manager and cloning. For NetApp if you have large databases it can be an issue. The 32bit NetApp filers are limited to 16TB :

http://blog.thestoragearchitect.com/2010/08/02/netapp-the-inflexibility-of-flexvols/

As far as database clone technologies, Delphix is by far the best. Delphix is basically unlimited in databsae size it supports and unlimited in snapshots and clones. Here is an article I wrote for the New Your Oracle Users Group

     http://dboptimizer.com/2012/12/19/database-virtualization/

of course I'm biased since I work for Delphix. On the other I'm aware of the issues of building such a product. Oracle asked me to work on database cloning in 2005 the OEM group but this was before Oracle's dNFS and before ZFS had stabilized. When I saw what Delphix was doing with ZFS, cloning and awesome UI in 2010 I couldn't wait to join.

Does anyone use this software from Netapp?