Re: Difference between CPU and core.

From: Karl Arao <karlarao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 23:05:18 -0600

Most likely you are using this processor http://ark.intel.com/products/53579/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-4870-30M-Cache-2_40-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI and you have the hyperthreading turned off on server #1.. CPUs
40

Cores
40

Sockets
4

the CPUs in AWR are the Logical CPUs (show parameter cpu_count) which the OS also treats 1 thread as 1 cpu (cat /proc/cpuinfo)... but ultimately without instance caging turned on the cpu_count parameter and the number of CPUs on /proc/cpuinfo should be the same

On the workload level (AWR load profile).. a system let's say on the example (photo)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oL5_-FgDcjs/UM_yHxBiquI/AAAAAAAABxo/4GR4QFGDhn4/s2048/threadsVScores.png

1socket, 4cores, 8threads which shows as 8 Logical CPUs (both CPU_COUNT and /proc/cpuinfo) can just do a max LIOs/sec of 1,400,000M and even if you saturate past the number of Logical CPUs you would only be on that rate.
To measure the response time effect as you saturate up to the max CPUs count you have to measure the session level numbers.. so here as you use more and more CPUs the lesser LIOs/elapsed you can do and once you reach the max CPUs count you start to see some wait on run queue which ultimately affects the session response times. The four test cases shows the effects of having HT and TurboBoost on or off. In my case when I turned off the HT it only left me with 4 CPUs although I can still handle the same workload the response time effects manifest on the CPU wait (run queue) once you get past the max CPUs count .. that's why HTonTurboOn is the best case

And.. I would suggest you go to this tiddler http://goo.gl/iUJyn and open this cool document by RedHat http://goo.gl/MKsml which clearly explains the HT stuff.. (redhat kbase doc DOC-7715 - multi-processor, multi-core or supports hyperthreading)

--
Karl Arao
karlarao.wordpress.com