RE: OT: RE: interview question on schema design

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:35:26 +0000

DBA's in general dislike java applications for just the reason mentioned: bad database access technique. I am sure there are many well written java applications that access Oracle; it is just that the rule seems to be to code poorly. Also java programmers have a tendency to try to do what should be done inside the database instance within their code. I remember reading a forum thread where the java developers were trying to cache the database data within their application where multiple java application servers would be in use since this would be better than having to go to the database for the data!

The problem is not the java language, but rather a combination of how the java frameworks are designed, inexperienced developers, and poor project management which results in poorly performing applications that kill the database.