Re: Just A Question. Regarding Backup strategy for Oracle Database with Terra Bytes of Data.

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 07:25:44 -0700

Sheldon,
It is crucial to clearly understand and document your application users's educated expectation for uptime and recoverability before designing a recoverability strategy (please note the term "recoverability strategy" and not "backup strategy"). If you don't have agreed-upon numbers for MTTR (mean time to repair) and XTTR (maximum time to repair), then you don't have enough information to create a suitable recoverability strategy.

Initial recommendations, just for setting expectations...

  • For databases supporting OLTP applications, "hybrid" OLTP/DW/BI applications, or poorly-designed DW/BI applications, cycles of RMAN incremental backups o for such databases with low MTTR requirements, flashback database, block-change tracking, and one (or more) Data Guard standby databases and backups of the standby
  • For databases supporting DW/BI applications, partitioning large tables by time, grouping table- and index-partitions into tablespaces, setting tablespaces to READ ONLY as they age, and then cycles of RMAN incremental backups; a low-priority, less-frequent cycle for the READ ONLY tablespaces, and a higher-priority, more-frequent cycle for READ WRITE tablespaces and archivelogs.

Also, if QA/test and development databases are not being refreshed regularly as clones from production backups, then there it is uncertain whether backups are recoverable, and therefore useless. Even if the application is a pure COTS and no development is necessary, a QA/test environment for upgrades, patches, and releases is necessary, and it should be cloned regularly.

As a representative for the ORA600 "DUDE" product (i.e. www.ora600.be), I hear from those who didn't understand recoverability, or who didn't test recoveries. It's as much about grief-counseling as it is about properly using a last-resort data-extraction utility.

Hope this helps...

Kind regards,

--
Tim Gorman
consultant -> Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.