RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Primary -> Standby -> Standby

From: Grabowy, Chris <chris.grabowy_at_lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:25:36 +0000

Ugh. If I am reading this correctly then the restrictions are killing it for me. No RAC. No Broker. Oh well. Thanks anyway. I learned something new today. Which I'll forget and then relearn...

From: craigihagan_at_gmail.com<mailto:craigihagan_at_gmail.com> [mailto:craigihagan_at_gmail.com] On Behalf Of Craig Hagan Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 2:11 PM
To: Grabowy, Chris
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Primary -> Standby -> Standby

I believe it is called cascaded redo

if you have foodb with a primary and a "regular" standby for production use, and an additional standby for other use, e.g. reporting, etc, you could have the production standby transmit logs to the reporting standby via a config roughly like:

alter system set log_archive_config='DG_CONFIG=(foodb_b,foodb_a,foodb_c)';

alter system set log_archive_dest_3 = 'db_unique_name=foodb_c SERVICE="foodb_c.amazon" NET_TIMEOUT valid_for=(standby_logfile, standby_role) REOPEN` OPTIONAL'; alter system set log_archive_dest_state_3='enable';

(nb: i'm not checking for typos or exact syntax, verify! the key is the role standby_role vs. primary_role)

  • craig

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Grabowy, Chris <chris.grabowy_at_lmco.com<mailto:chris.grabowy_at_lmco.com>> wrote: I thought I had read somewhere that a Primary database could feed its logs to a Standby database and then that Standby database could then feed those logs to another Standby.

Is that true?? If so then is it a matter of setting another LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST on the standby? Looking for a clue, since I have none.

Or I was dreaming about a new feature??

                            Craig I. Hagan
                           hagan(at)cih.com<http://cih.com>

 nemo dat quod non habet - you cannot give what you do not have

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Dec 10 2012 - 20:25:36 CET

Original text of this message