benchmark kits for Oracle as well as SQL Server and others (Sybase, Postgres, MySQL, DB2)

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 12:38:47 -0800

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for benchmarks that are cross database compatible?
I've been using Swingbench to do performance comparison between physical and virtual databases at Delphix. Now Delphix just released support for virtual database on SQL Server in June, so we now have to start doing performance tests on SQL Server. We are also working on support for Sybase, Postgres, MySQL and DB2 that ideally any benchmarks would work on these databases as well.

In my testing cases, the only thing that virtualization affects is I/O, thus I first plan to look at porting SLOB over to SQL Server. It would be nice though to have real world benchmark, albeit, simulated.

One option would be to use TPC stuff like TCP-A,C,D,E etc. Anyone try these out?
I've run these in the past in my life once upon a time at Oracle but someone else usually created the data set and I just tuned the load. I'm wondering how easy/hard they are to set up and if there are any easy setup scripts/packages out there.

I know Quest, now Dell, has benchmark factory but would rather stay with something free and I'm wondering how scriptable benchmark factory is. It is AFAIK just a windows desktop tool.