Re: RMAN incrementally updated image copy as a long term backup solution?

From: Randal Bennett <rdbennett2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 17:21:57 -0800 (PST)

Chen,
Para 16.1.2.1 of the Oracle v11g online reference says:

If you use RMAN with the following configuration when backing up or restoring files, then it detects all types of block corruption that are possible to detect:

  • In the initialization parameter file of a database, set DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM=typical so that the database calculates data file checksums automatically (not for backups, but for data files in use by the database)
  • Do not precede the BACKUP command with SET MAXCORRUPT so that RMAN does not tolerate any unmarked block corruptions.
  • In a BACKUP command, do not specify the NOCHECKSUM option so that RMAN calculates a checksum when writing backups
  • In BACKUP and RESTORE commands, specify the CHECK LOGICAL option so that RMAN checks for logical and physical corruptionHTH
    • Randy