RAC One Node - which server does instance start on?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:32:38 -0800

Yesterday I had my first experience with RAC One Node, and there is one feature of it that is somewhat confusing. We installed RAC One Node on an ODA, and all went smoothly.

When we started the database it appears the default node is the second node, as the database always starts on the second node.

We did use 'srvctl relocate database -d db -n new_node' to relocate the instance to node A, and that works as expected.

So, we restarted the database, using srvctl from node A.

Again the instance started on Node B.
 Googling and Oracle support haven't been helpful for this so far.  BTW, using 'start instance' with -n node or -i instance is not supported with RAC One Node.

Oracle strongly recommends that database connections are made through a service, and I suspect that is due to not knowing which node the database may be running on,
All indications so far are that this is the way it works normally, but there does not seem to be a lot of experience with RAC One Node in the community.

Any ideas?

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com