RE: alter system quiesce restricted never finishes

From: Lyall Barbour <lyallbarbour_at_sanfranmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:47:15 -0500

Right! Someone asked that when i posted this question on the Oracle Community site... This system is as close to 24/7 as you can get. We have 2, sometimes 3 shifts working on our OLTP Sales/Production Orders/Supply Chain system that has all the GL, AP, and AR invoices etc stuff in it too. We never bounce the database, EXCEPT for month end work which we'd like to get rid of and keep the db up all the time.  Quiescing seemed like the best way to do this and get the processes finished that needed to be finished for EOM.  What i've found in my testing is that I just don't really know when the Quiescing statement will finish, but, that when the ACTIVE_STATE column is anything other then NORMAL (so QUIESCING or QUIESCED) that no one can do stuff, but a different AS SYSDBA log in can.  So, i've got a PL/SQL block that'll do what we need and then loop until the database is QUIESCED or the time frame is done. Then a third log in will UNQUIESCE or DISCONNECT IMMEDIATE the session that was trying to QUIESCE the database.  ...Unless someone has a better idea to find out why/how the QUIESCE command doesn't finish.

 Thanks,
 Lyall