How can I automate creating a controlfile?

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:53:32 -0700

SLES11
Oracle 11.2.0.2.0
We have a project to refresh snapshot databases on a varying schedule. These snapshots all will be development, test, QA, and UAT. The snapshots will be done at the hardware level (IBM XIV storage). The snapshots will be of a second standby database. When all is said and done, the new or refreshed databases will be using the datafiles from that secondary standby. For writes it will use a copy-on-write technology. The theory behind all this is that all these snapshot databases will have a full copy of production data to work with without having to actually restore/copy the data and buy more storage. The XIV snapshot process sets up symbolic links to the datafiles so that each database references "its own" files.

My problem centers around the controlfiles for the snapshot databases. I have not been able to find a way to open the new database without creating a new controlfile manually. they want the entire refresh process automated so all they have to do is click a single button. Manually creating the controlfile in the middle of the entire process doesn't lend itself to complete automation.

Has anyone ever set up auto create of a control complete with renaming the database, turning off archiving, etc.? I have tried everything I could think of, but keeping hitting one error or another.

--

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.

--