Re: Oracle Home naming convention

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:45:47 -0700

On 26/11/2012 8:29 AM, Norman Dunbar wrote:
> We have a similar convention, viz:
>
> /opt/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/db_1
> /opt/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/db_2
> /opt/oracle/product/11.2.0.2/client_1
> etc.

For several years, I've mentioned (in lectures, classes and presentations) that an Oracle Home represents the service level agreement for the software and not the database itself. In particular, the SLA defines the patch application 'cycle' and methods permitted (hence the need for the _1, _2 qualifiers), but the database itself can be "attached" to any ORACLE_HOME that supports the feature set.

I've often been confused by, and annoyed by, the idea that the last directory listed is "/db_X", and your conundrum highlights that issue.

I've not had reason to discriminate between EE and SE before, but on quick blush I suggest perhaps a better solution might be

/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/ee_1
/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/ee_2
/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/se_1
/opt/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/cl_1

Since I want to use the same ORACLE_BASE for all products, I also tend to inject a level immediately below "/product" that indicates the product family as a mount point:

/opt/oracle/product/database/11.2.0.3/ee_1
/opt/oracle/product/database/11.2.0.1/ee_1
/opt/oracle/product/database/10.2.0.4/ee_1
/opt/oracle/product/fusionmw/11.2.0.1/
/opt/oracle/product/gridctrl/11.2.0.1/

(I also tend to use 'db', 'gc' or 'cc', 'wl', 'fm' instead of 'database', 'fusionmw' ...)

Semi-off topic: many people don't rea;lize the 'oracle' in "/opt/oracle" is based on the Unix username owning the s/w (for chmod/setuid), not the Vendor name.

My ideas derived from repeatedly misinterpreting the OFA Appendix of the Oracle [OS} Installation Guide http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/appendix_ofa.htm#sthref791

Interesting question, though.

/Hans