Re: Transportable Tablespaces and Deferred segment creation "bug"

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:08:15 +0000

Hi Niall,

On 26/11/12 15:44, Niall Litchfield wrote:
> I ranted about this sort of thing at
> http://orawin.info/blog/2010/04/25/new-features-new-defaults-new-side-effects/and
Indeed you did.

> on this OTN thread
> https://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=4254100#4254100 a
> while back. Its not a bug its a feature!
I beg to differ, it's a bug!

Indeed, as I mentioned to Oracle Support this very morning, it's a bug and the fix(es) required are one or more of the following:

  • Update the docs to tell us about the problem;
  • Update DBMS_TTS to ensure the check procedure lists potential problems, otherwise, what use is it?
  • Fix exp and expdp to create proper metadata that will enable the objects to be created regardless of the EE or SEness of the importing database.
  • Fix imp and impdp to cater for the missing segments correctly.

You will note I mentioned exp and imp in the above? I have a serious problem with expdp/impdp in the transportable tablespace department - yo can export quite happily to disc, copy from disc to tape along side the data files in question, courier the tapes between data centres, paying extra for secure transport of course, and then when you come to do the TT impdp, you suddenly find that you must set up a database link back to the source database - which is air-gapped for security reasons and there is no network connection between source and destination.

I do believe I went "ever so slightly ballistic" on discovering that little gem!

Thankfully, exp and imp still exist at 11203, and still work. Although I did have to get special dispensation to use a DVD or two for the export file.

> There's a workaround I haven't
> tried at the end of the OTN thread..

I saw it. Use 10g exp which seems to cure the problem of not being able to import EE exports into SE as well as using TTs. Sigh!

There are a number of other workarounds, the easiest is to export with ROWS=NO to tables that barf on import. That's what I ended up doing.

Expdp/impdp - Progress? In some ways yes, but broken beyond all belief in others.

Cheers,
Norm.

PS. I'm just starting another 11g EE to 11g SE multi-terabyte export using Transportable Tablespaces - at least I know what's waiting to bite me this time! ;-)

--
Norman Dunbar
Dunbar IT Consultants Ltd

Registered address: