Re: RAC upgrade from RedHat v5 to v6

From: Don Morse <dmorse2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:01:12 -0800 (PST)

Freek, The remove node, addnode procedure was the first thing I tried, that did not work well; user equivalence errors, clufy failed checks, etc.We could have backed up and restored grid infrastructure, but other grid files are placed in /etc and other Redhat directories, so I did not want to deal that.  I have received quite a few replies, but so far, nobody has done the rh5 to rh6 upgrade on a live rac cluster. Regards,

Don

 From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be> To: "dmorse2_at_yahoo.com" <dmorse2_at_yahoo.com>; Oracle List <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 6:42 AM
Subject: RE: RAC upgrade from RedHat v5 to v6

Don,

But does a reinstall really means that you would wipe your entire server? I'm no linux admin, but I thought that if you had separate filesystems for the OS (/ , /boot,..) and for Oracle (/u00, /u01,...) the content of the latter ones could be preserved during a reinstall. Separate from a relink you would possibly also need to recreate some additional directories and symbolic links and change the contents of /etc/inittab and so on.

Another possible scenario would be to perform a dropnode procedure, then reinstall the server, followed by an addnode procedure. This way a rolling upgrade is certainly possible.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator