Re: RAC upgrade from RedHat v5 to v6

From: Don Morse <dmorse2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 16:55:36 -0800 (PST)

If we waited three years, we would still be facing us.  The clusterware version is 11.2.0,3. When we first discussed the RedHat 6 upgrade, I it may be possible to  drop the first node from the cluster, installing the upgrade, add the node back using addnode.sh, then same thing for nodes two and three. This process definitely does not work.

 From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi_at_gmail.com> To: dmorse2_at_yahoo.com
Cc: Oracle List <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:37 PM Subject: Re: RAC upgrade from RedHat v5 to v6

> If our Linux admin is correct (RH 6 is a re-install), then the rolling upgrade recommended by Oracle is impossible?  Or do I dare to challenge him on this?

If you are supported by RedHat, you will have to reinstall afresh, else redhat will wash their hands as far as those three systems are concerned.  They don't support upgrade between major versions. You can try it though.  Depending on what installed, changes that have been made, you could just be lucky. I would not go that route though.  You are highly likely to break your system or encounter funky issues going forward. Why do you need upgrade though?  RHEL5 is supported for another 3 year. And unlike RHEL4, RHEL5 is mature. The only distribution that upgrade reliably is Debian, everything else, it's trial and error. William