Re: Oracle Exadata for DB consolidation

From: Q A I S E R <qrasheed_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 08:18:46 -0600

Goran,
We are using Exadata for consolidation. We had a number of single instance databases running on dedicated hardware. We have consolidated about 80 of these databases into a half rack of Exadata. We recommend use of resource management (DBRM/IORM) in a consolidated Exadata environment.

Oracle releases Quarterly Bundle Patches (renamed to QDPE) for Exadata. We apply one patch every 6 months, or two patches a year. Our applications annoy afford down time. All patches are applied in a rolling fashion. It takes a long time for rolling patches, but we are able to run our production environment without any down time. Oracle offers Platinum Support for Exadata. This includes one patch application by Oracle per Quarter (4 patches per year). There is no cost, however you should meet their pre-requisites. Your environment should be at a minimum patch release to qualify for this service.

Reference:
Database Machine and Exadata Storage Server 11g Release 2 (11.2) Supported Versions [ID 888828.1]

Best practices for consolidation on Exadata http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/exadata-consolidation-522500.pdf

Thanks,
--Qaiser