RE: Oracle Training for a Novice - looking for recommendations

From: TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:10:13 -0600

I'm in a similar position (only DBA), and if I had some help coming in, I'd probably require book reports on these before I gave a newbie DBA login credentials to the test instance: http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Database-Architecture-Programming/dp/1430229462/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353106515&sr=1-1 http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-RMAN-Backup-Recovery-Press/dp/0071628606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353106358&sr=8-1

I've been the sole DBA for the 3 years I've been a DBA, and the foundational knowledge about how stuff works I've gained from these books (plus subscribing to lists like this & following blogs) is how I've managed to be successful without a mentor.

Performance tuning is important as well, but understanding first how Oracle works (Tom Kyte's book) and second how backup & recovery work (the MOST critical job skill) will form the foundation for the rest of the job and make any subsequent training, conferences, webinars, etc far more impactful than going in completely green.

Thanks,
T. J.