RE: Oracle Training for a Novice - looking for recommendations

From: <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:00:32 -0600

Worldwide Sites
Oracle Certification
Certification Paths
Exams
Preparation
Support
Benefits
News and Community
DATABASE CERTIFICATION HANDS-ON COURSE LIST Oracle9i Database Administrator Certified Professional Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Professional Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Master Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Master Oracle Database 10g: Real Application Clusters Administrator Certified Expert Oracle Certified Expert, Oracle RAC 11g Release 2 and Grid Infrastructure Administrator Oracle 10g: Managing Oracle on Linux Certified Expert Oracle Database 11g Performance Tuning Expert

The courses below will count toward the certification under which they are listed. If you need clarification on a specific certification path, please visit the track page for that path. Please Note: Lists are subject to periodic updates. Oracle9i Database Administrator Certified Professional Show/Hide
Back to top

Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Professional Show/Hide
Back to top

Oracle Database 10g Administrator Certified Master

Please note that if you use one of these courses to qualify for your OCP certification, you may not use the same course to meet the OCM requirement of 2 advanced hands-on courses.

Show/Hide
Back to top

Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional

These are some of the classes for the "hands on" requirement for certification (the hands on requirement must come from this list but you don't have to have all of these). I'd focus on the fundamentals

Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop I Release 2 Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II Release 2

Oracle Database 11g: Data Warehousing Fundamentals Oracle 11g: RAC and Grid Infrastructure Administration Accelerated Release 2 Oracle Database: Develop PL/SQL Program Units Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II Oracle Database 11g: Data Warehousing Fundamentals

Oracle Database: Introduction to SQL
Oracle Database: Introduction to SQL/PLSQL Accelerated
Oracle Database: SQL and PL/SQL Fundamentals
Oracle Database: Introduction to SQL/PLSQL Accelerated
Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop I Release 2 Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II Release 2 Oracle Grid Infrastructure 11g: Manage Clusterware and ASM Using Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Ed 1 Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop I Oracle Database 11g: Administration Workshop II Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Master courses will also fulfill the training requirement for this certification (please note that if you use one of the 10g DBA OCM courses to fulfill the training requirement for OCP, you will not be able to use the same course to fulfill one of the 2 course requirements for OCM.) These earlier courses count toward certification but are no longer being scheduled:
Oracle Database 11g: Introduction to SQL
Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I
Oracle Database 11g: SQL and PL/SQL Fundamentals
Oracle Database 11g: Develop PL/SQL Program Units

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Steve Wales Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 3:52 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Oracle Training for a Novice - looking for recommendations

Hi,

I'm the sole DBA at my shop. This means that I'm pretty much always on call - on vacations and what not.

My boss wants to get me a backup and has someone willing to start heading down the DBA track.

Wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations on either books or classes to introduce someone to Oracle and get them started on the path.

When I was starting out I read a couple of books to get me started - there was a series of books from Oracle Press as I recalled in the "101" series - Oracle DBA 101, Backup 101, Performance Tuning 101 etc that were published in 2002. This got me some good early information.

So, basically looking for people's opinions on some later books (more relevant to 11g) and what the offerings from Oracle University (or other training companies) are like in order to get someone started down the path of DBA-dom.

Thanks for any input

Steve

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Nov 16 2012 - 23:00:32 CET

Original text of this message