RE: Backup using only one CPU - SA wants to know why

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 13:07:01 -0500

Oracle's RMAN product does not support parallel backup with SE.

That is slightly different from "at all." But we were discussing RMAN, so I guess I'm pickin' nits.

I don't know whether there is a problem space where it would be worthwhile to roll your own backup in order to get CPU parallelism and give up RMAN functionality to keep an SE license. I also have not explored the issue of whether this makes overall economic sense. It might in some cases, I suppose, perhaps if you have very many sites so you want to minimize license cost, but the sites are similar so you could create the backup solution once and deploy it many times, AND you have the case where CPU parallelism is required to reach an optimal point on the elapsed time of backup and compression factor matrix.

Rats. Now I realize I'm not sure which types of compression are available for SE. There seems to always be more to research than time available for research.

mwf