Re: Backup using only one CPU - SA wants to know why

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:06:38 -0600 (CST)

Sandy replied to Chris' post:

> I have a hunch it's something along those lines, but don't know how to
> prove it. My SA insists there's a setting in the database to "turn on
> multiple CPUs". If it already recognizes there are 5 of them, I'm not sure
> what else I can do.
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM, <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net> wrote:
>
>> According to my AIX admin (on a similar question I asked him about active
>> sessions) he said its because of the way IBM does CPU scheduling.

I don't do incrementals in 11.2.0.3 EE on AIX 5.3, but I will confirm that using RMAN's "CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET PARALLELISM 4" uses UP TO 4 CPUs concurrently.

It should be noted that "parallel" here means "1 CPU per datafile". So if you only have one huge datafile, I wonder if incremental backups would only use 1 CPU...

Rich