RE: Cascading standby creation

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 13:55:48 -0400

I've never done a cascading standby with Oracle's product, so I don't know the answer to your EM question.

Using roll your own procedures (it is, after all, just recovery unless you need Active read only), you can instantiate (or re-instantiate) from either the primary or another standby with recovery temporarily cancelled. If you don't want to molest the primary and re-instantiation of the upstream standby is required, you can even do that from the downstream standby as long as you still have the relevant archive logs to cover any gap if the downstream standby is behind.

You can also fork shipping and application of changes to multiple destinations directly without a cascade relationship (but that does involve more traffic on the network of the primary).

I'll bet someone has the EM answer at their fingertips and relevant "fun facts to know and tell" about using dataguard for cascaded standby creation.

Good luck. It sounds like you're pursuing something important!

mwf