Re: Looking for recommendations on ASM

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:01:17 +0100

On 31/10/2012 19:57, Hubler, Daniel wrote:
> Confused about (best?) practices for ASM, diskgroups, voting disks, OCR, controlfiles. . . . .
>
> We plan to use ASM with external redundancy.
> Up until now, we thought we could get by with a single diskgroup.
[...]

Hi,
this is what I currently use:

  1. Disk group dg_voting: 3 LUN x 1G, normal redundancy for voting files (3 copies) and OCR.
  2. Disk group dg_data: > 4 LUN (the size will depend on application needs) for data.
  3. Disk Group dg_fra: > 4 LUN (the size will depend on recovery objectives) for recovery files, control file and redo log mirror copies.

You can add an OCR mirror on dg_data or dg_fra. You end up with 3 ASM disk groups.

Regards
Dimitre