Re: alarming experience with controlfile autobackup on

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 07:58:35 -0700

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Sigrid Keydana <keydana_at_gmx.de> wrote:

> step 1: do backup
> step 2: perform structural change, e.g., add tablespace
> step 3: wait till autobackup has been created (this was another strange
> thing, I've found no way to influence this myself, not even by a database
> restart!)
> step 4: someone does a DELETE OBSOLETE. The controlfile from the backup
> will be deleted as obsolete, we have the more recent one now only ...
> step 5: delete all DB files

But then in step 4 already, I was in for a shock: Not only was the
> controlfile backup from step 1 obsolete, also the backupset containing the
> new tablespace's datafile was (backups were performed with filesperset 1).

Your steps do not match the explanation.

In the steps listed, there is not a backup of the new tablespace, thought explanatory text mentions
a backupset containing the new tablespace.

It would probably be a good idea to present a well documented test case, one that lists all steps
taken, and (readable) logs of the actual steps taken.

Also, adding a tablespace should have triggered a backup of the controlfile if autoback was configured.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com