RE: Parallel index creates causing blocking lock alerting

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:28:17 -0400

If you have "a slew" of them, then why not run twice as many of them at a time with only one thread per create?

The advantage of parallel <pretty much anything> is to use more resources to get a particular job done in less elapsed time. When you have a lot of jobs to do, why take on the overhead of parallel?

If we are talking about multiple schema, and you have multiple temp areas on independent i/o you can create additional efficiencies there as well. If you have multiple indexes to create on one table, you may be able to accelerate that as well by creating multiple indexes on the same table in parallel. Now you might not get sga double dipping without playing games with KEEP rotation and direct read might kick in anyway, but you still might win from device and SAN cache.

So lose the locks and make it all faster too.

Good luck,

mwf