Re: SSD Storage

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:27:04 +0100

You'll hate this..
It depends.

OK so the smart answer to my smart alec answer is "On what does it depend?" I think there are several concerns.

  • What are the current bottlenecks in the system? If they aren't database disk I/O speeding up database disk I/O is unlikely to help.
  • What's the real-life life expectancy of the kit your vendor is talking about - IIRC for example the lifetime of exadata flash parts is 3 years, for a write acceleration technology that probably doesn't matter, for data storage it does.
  • How does your vendor deal with the fall off in write performance over time, i.e how do they guarantee the same performance in a year's time when you've loaded up the flash with data? EG http://storagemojo.com/2012/06/07/the-ssd-write-cliff-in-real-life/
  • Are they selling flash or SSD, there's a difference
  • If you currently use storage level snapshots/clones etc are those features there?

Personally I was convinced enough about flash to apply for a job with Violin (they didn't want me :) ) but that doesn't mean that flash is a panacea, or in all cases has enterprise levels of reliability as yet - it will shortly and many suppliers already are up to the mark.

Others on the list are better qualified than me to comment.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a vendor going on about SSD Storage for database - Are these the
> way to go as far as performance goes?
> --
> Howard A. Latham

Niall Litchfield