RE: Oracle Database physical files and file system details

From: Lange, Kevin G <kevin.lange_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:27:28 -0500

Agree with Martin. The database makes it a point not to know what is beyond the location and name of the files so that you can configure and change this without making changes inside the database.

When we wanted that information at an older job, we wrote shell scripts to pull the data file names from the database and use that information to then interrogate the file system to find out all the details. You could always have that program then insert the info into some table in the database if you want to store it that way.