RE: Cloning vs Copy/Relink Oracle Home to a new server

From: Gerald Cunningham <gcunningham_at_proteuseng.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:15:48 -0400

Hi there,

How would #2 save time? Seems like it's extra work.

Actually if it's production, I would want separate LUNs and just set up physical data guard... switchover would be minutes.

Good luck!

Jerry

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ramadoss, Karthik [Karthik.Ramadoss_at_accidentfund.com] Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:16 PM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Cloning vs Copy/Relink Oracle Home to a new server

Thanks to Niall Litchfield for his nice note on Oracle Home Cloning (http://orawin.info/blog/2011/07/27/in-praise-of-clones/), I have 2 options in my linux server migration. I had earlier shared my plan to the list and I am down to clarifying one step in particular. Setup:

I am moving a mix of 10g and 11g databases residing on an older server to a new server. The only changes to the setup is the hardware. OS versions, database versions all stay the same.

All Oracle_Homes, data files and archive logs are on EMC LUNS that I can unmount from old server and mount it on new server. Now, I have 2 options for this move

  1. Move the LUNS with the Oracle Homes as-is (including files like oratab, oraInventory, config files - anything that aren't in the LUNS) to the new server, relink the binaries in each Oracle Home.
  2. Clone Oracle Homes using the above procedure. This works great! But, to save time I'd have to clone homes ahead of time to somewhere temporary, and then move it to the LUNS after they are mounted on the new server. Not a huge deal but an extra step.

With limited maintenance window I am looking to eliminate any extra time if it's not needed. Given this scenario, is there any reason you'd choose Option 2 over 1? If there are any gotchas with Option 1, what are they?

Thanks in advance,
Karthik

Follow this link to mark it as spam:
http://mailfilter.proteus-technologies.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=F1CCD2856F.A2CEA-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Oct 11 2012 - 23:15:48 CEST