RE: 3rd try: Linux database server upgrade (hardware only)

From: Ramadoss, Karthik <Karthik.Ramadoss_at_accidentfund.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 13:27:08 +0000

Sorry I wrongly worded it about the architecture. Good point about step 12.

Thanks!

From: William Muriithi [mailto:william.muriithi_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 9:19 AM
To: Ramadoss, Karthik
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: 3rd try: Linux database server upgrade (hardware only)

> Plan:
> Pre go-live
> 1. Install Oracle Linux 5.6 on new servers with temporary hostnames
> 2. Copy critical OS config files or match the Oracle OS requirements
> 3. Do a fresh Oracle Home installs (I believe this would be the recommended way if not mandatory when changing CPU architecture?)

You are not changing CPU architecture. Both of them are implementation of x86-64 instructions from AMD

> 4. Copy all individual database config files, *.ora files, etc.
> 5. Prep the new servers for RMAN backups, scripts
>
> Go live day
> 6. Shutdown databases on old servers
> 7. Unmount LUNs from old server
> 8. Shutdown old servers
> 9. Do the EMC magic to attach the LUNs to new hosts
> 10. Change the hostname on new server to production hosts
> 11. Mount LUNS on new server verifying the LUN-mount point matches old environment
> 12. Fire up the databases and the listener

Sound like setting up a database from raw backups. This will work with MySQL but I don't think Oracle database will be cooperative. Depends if it can load the control file.

If it fails, you need to start it with nomount option and then manual point it to the necessary file through the alter directives. Then all these are on spfile so may be it will start fine

Very junior as far as oracle is concerned so wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong. Hope someone senior will correct me though