RE: unexpected heavy buffered IO during partition bitmap index rebuild

From: Tornblad, John <JTornblad_at_emdeon.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:33:29 -0500

| Here's a link to a script that I published in Nov 2000 demonstrating
the
| principle:
|
| http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/rowsize.html
|
| I have a modern variant which still has the limitation that it can
only
| handle simple data types (no LOBs etc.), and uses sys_op_opnsize()
rather
| than vsize(). The biggest benefit, though, is that it generates the
SQL
| from a supplied tablename.

Thanks very much Jonathan. It seems surprising that no direct function of row size measurement has appeared in Oracle over the years. When I was discussing our chained (really migrated) rows issue with support, they were initially prompting me to "just increase PCTFREE". Well, OK... but by how much? One definitely needs a method.

-john

</pre>This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender by return email and delete this message. Thank you.