RE: unexpected heavy buffered IO during partition bitmap index rebuild

From: Tornblad, John <JTornblad_at_emdeon.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:59:51 -0500

| I'm confused. After a CTAS, you might still might have chaining, but I don't
| understand why there would be migration.

Whoops... more precisely stated (I hope)...

"In fact, after CTAS our new recreated segment (the target of the CTAS)
is 1/2 the size (in blocks) of the old segment which had 35% of its rows that had been migrated (the source for the CTAS)."

...by which I was trying to compare the sizes of these two segments: the
"before CTAS" segment (when "slow" under bitmap index rebuild and doing
way--WAY!--more than the necessary amount of IO--even considering migrated rows... 285 times the size of the segment) and the "after CTAS" segment (when we had used CTAS to create a new replacement segment for the partition which definitely made all migrated rows disappear and upon which building a a bitmap index was nice and fast and incurred the
"expected" amount of IO--namely, reading a total amount of blocks which
appears to be the size of the segment).

-john

</pre>This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender by return email and delete this message. Thank you.